Friday 19 December 2008

Online module analysis

After completing the online journalism module I have decided to reflect on what I have learnt over the past weeks.

Before I started online journalism I regularly used the internet, though I have to admit I just visited the same websites everyday. I had heard of blogs but I never ventured out into the blogging universe, the closest I had got to blogging was writing a hello post on my Myspace and Facebook pages. 

I instantly enjoyed writing blogs because it allowed me freedom to write about what I wanted in a more conversational and open style (compared to the stricter style required in news stories). I found the blogging process easy to understand after my first few posts (for example linking and posting images and videos).

After setting up my blog I then started to post blog articles for both class exercise and assignments. I enjoyed writing the news blog because I felt comfortable with the style of news writing, though I felt the article could have been improved by adding more personal opinion. I then went on to contribute to our group blog, and now for something completely different and write my feature, My 5 days of Christmas feature. (I have analysed both in separate articles so I wont repeat myself!).      

I also found the guest visits of both Neil McIntosh and Kathryn Corrick interesting and helpful. Neil McIntosh's talk on online journalism and its future was particularly enjoyable, and it was interesting to listen to the ideas of a professional who worked within the online journalism industry.  

Overall I enjoyed the online journalism module, though the six weeks seemed to have gone very quickly! The module has helped expand on my knowledge of blogging and the online services and applications the internet provides. I feel that I have expanded my writing skills by working online and I hope to carry on blogging through my personal blog; Big Blog, Little Blog (though I plan to change the blog name after I can think of something better!).  

No comments: