Friday 12 December 2008

Critical Evalauation: Group Blogs

Our group blog, and now for something completely different, was based around comedy, from television shows and films to reviews and news. In our team of four we all wrote 5 posts about different types of comedy. I wrote about the top 5 Only Fools and Horses moments, comedy Youtube clips, comedy films, a profile of Steve Carell and a review of my first live stand up performance.

We were targeting a specific audience of both comedy fans and in terms of age groups, the under 30's. Our decision to cover the whole of comedy in general may have bee criticized but I feel one of the benefits was that we would appeal to a larger audience of comedy fans, from those who like TV comedy or live stand up.

The experience of posting on a blog every day was different from what I have experienced in the past. At times I didn't mind posting everyday if I had the a lot of time to research and enjoy writing about certain topics, for example YouTube clips. It has taught me more about the schedules and work of professional bloggers.

When designing our blog we did encounter problems. We were going to use WordPress but we had trouble setting up our blog. Due to the problems we launched our blog on Blogger, which was easier to navigate that WordPress but restricting in the design options, for example layout.

I was pleased with the articles we posted on the blog because I feel it offered variation in length, content and style. We had a mixture of punchier articles and longer review based pieces. We also included a lot of visuals, both pictures and video clips to visually make the blog more attractive to audiences.

But I do feel that the shorter and more punchy articles worked better, especially on the blog platform, for example the top 5 lists and the article about other comedy blogs. This is because audiences may lose concentration through longer articles, but like I mentioned earlier I feel the mix of different articles worked well.

We organised the blog through categorising the types and content of articles, for example all articles were linked through the same label. We also linked out in the articles, for example to the official websites of films or television shows we mentioned and we included a poll to increase interactivity with readers.

As a group we decided to post at three set points during the day (at 9m, 12pm and 2pm) because we felt that a lot of our audiences would be working and these would be the times they are on their breaks and free to read the blog.

Overall I enjoyed working on the comedy blog because I got to write about topics that I enjoy, for example YouTube and Only Fools And Horses and I also expanded on my knowledge of comedy. I feel it was a good idea for a blog because comedy is on a popular topic that allowed us to write about many different aspects of comedy, though when reflecting our topic may have been too broad.

No comments: